Monday, October 10, 2005

I GOT THE JOB!!!

I have been trying for a several months since getting out of school to get my first job as a television news photographer. Today I got a job offer! It's a small market, and it probably won't pay much (I still have to talk with them about money), but I'm looking forward to learning as much as I can. The down side is that I'll have to move about 800 miles away, to a city where I don't know anyone at all. The up side is... I FINALLY HAVE A JOB!!!

I have been told I write well, and a friend from school suggested that I chronicle my experience so that others can laugh at me. I'm not sure what she meant by that, but I'll try it anyway. This same girl suggested the name Iron Shoulder for my blog. Again, I'm not sure whether that's good or bad.

I haven't officially accepted the offer, since I didn't receive the message until late this afternoon, and we were all told in school that calling back after 3pm will make your news director scream at you. Probably not the right way to start off a new gig. I figure I'll start in a couple of weeks, and I'll ramp up the posts then.

Wish me luck!

5 Comments:

At 5:02 PM, October 11, 2005, Blogger Mighty Dyckerson said...

What a delightful blog! I am honored to be your very first poster.

Shall we do a link swap?

 
At 5:58 PM, October 11, 2005, Blogger Max said...

Welcome Dyckerson. The honor is all mine.

I would be happy to swap links. I'm still learning about this blog thing, so as soon as I can figure out how to link to you, I'll do it.

 
At 8:18 PM, October 11, 2005, Blogger Mighty Dyckerson said...

Well done! When you get more comfortable with blogging, I'll give you the code to add the official DBN (DyckerBlog Network) seal to your blog! Your hit count will skyrocket!!!

 
At 5:22 PM, October 12, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

alright Iron shoulder, I realize this is your first job, but there really are many stations that will pay better than that. A good entry station is kltv for example (CBS)in Tyler Texas, they will help to pay for relocation, give you a new company car and gas card...will train you well and even though they are a small market, they compete with Austin big markets for awards. and while they will hire an entry shooter, yes they pay much better than that. They may not be hiring, but this is an example of what you should be striving for. Shooters coming out of there are known tojump up to the big markets. but your dad is right...you are a fool if you take this, at least apply for a few months and give it a chance. 20,000 a year should be your rock bottom even in entry, and for that, you should also get a car and gas. I hope you take this seriously....because you can do so much better than that!

 
At 8:55 PM, October 23, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, don't listen to the Tyler dude. You have to get your foot in the door. The 20k comment is downright laughable. The times are changing fast due to the digital conversion. Have heard at least one of the Tyler stations is up for sale anyway. Stay with the new job for at least a year, do your best work for them, and either move up in the organization or move one. Welcome to the wonderful world of television news. Good luck with the move.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home