Thursday, December 01, 2005

Gimme a Break Already!

As I have explained about our on-call system, there isn't one. All the photogs are "on call" all the time. We have our addresses marked on a map in the newsroom, and when something happens the closest photographer is supposed to be called.

What I failed to mention earlier is that we're not supposed to be called on our days off unless its a true emergency. That means that since I'm the only photog on weekends, I will usually be the only one called out on weekends. It also means that on Thursday and Friday, my days off, I'm not supposed to be called out, especially since the rest of the photog staff work those days.

That didn't stop our producer, Wendy, from paging me tonight for a "Pedex" with a child involved. "Pedex" is what our newsroom calls an accident in which a pedestrian is struck by a car. I don't know where they got that name, because the cops don't call it that.

When I called in, I told Wendy that it was my day off after seventeen days straight. She didn't care. She asked me to go do it anyway.

"You're closest, and I don't have anybody else available," she said. I can't help but wonder if she actually called anyone else. But I got my gear together and went.

When I got there, there was nothing. Not a thing. No cops. No kid in the road. Nobody around. I double checked the location. I was in the right spot.

"Drive around that area and see if you see anything," Wendy instructed me when I called in. So I drove around. I still didn't find anything.

A few streets over there was a convenience store, so I stopped there and asked inside if the clerk had heard anything. In fact, she had. One of her customers had told her a teenager walked out in the road and got clipped by a car, but that he was okay and went home. She said that conversation had happened more than an hour earlier.

"Spray it and come back," Wendy said, when I told her what I had discovered. "I'll get the info from dispatch." So I "sprayed it," meaning that I quickly shot video of the scene where Wendy believed the accident had taken place, and went back to the station to edit.

"Oh, don't bother with that," she said when I came into the newsroom. "It turned out to be nothing. Some teenager got bumped by a car, but he didn't even go to the hospital."

Now I'm back home, and I can't help but feel a little irritated. She called me out on my day off, after I worked seventeen straight days through the holiday, for something that was at least an hour old when I was contacted and turned out to be nothing. On the other hand, I feel guilty for being irritated, because I know this job requires personal sacrifice. Still, I'm wondering if this job is going to stay like this. I'm enjoying it, but sometimes I really start to think maybe I should have listened to the naysayers when I first took this job.

13 Comments:

At 9:41 PM, December 01, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Max, this is the nature of the job. In news, in ANY size market, you are 24/7.

That said, the producer should have had more info from dispatch before wasting your time.

I notice the producers are the ones sending you out. No assignment editor?

 
At 3:15 AM, December 02, 2005, Blogger Max said...

I knew it was 24/7. I just didn't realize it was going to be 24/7/24/7/24/7.

We have an assignment editor during the day, but not at night. The dayside assignment editor is our 6pm anchor. When he gets wrapped up in the show later on in the afternoon, the producer of our late show takes over.

 
At 6:39 AM, December 02, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So is there a "no drinking" rule? I mean, it's your day off, so you should be able to get obliterated. Right? It is in fact your duty to get so drunk you can't even stand up on a day off.

Example:
(phone rings)
max (smashed): "hull-o"
producer: "we need you to go shoot this cat up in a tree."
max: "but i'm plowed because it's my day off."
producer: "uhhh, ok, I'll call someone else."

How about beers after work? When everyone else goes out after the show are you suppose to drink diet cokes while everyone else is drinking alcohol?

 
At 8:38 AM, December 02, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't drink, but on several occasions I have responded to pages on my day off with the "I'm drunk" excuse.

They'll always accept it, too, because rampant alcoholism is such a huge part of working in television news.

 
At 11:41 AM, December 02, 2005, Blogger Frank McBoob said...

Next time, tell them you're in the middle of boinking Suzanne.

They'll leave you alone...

Sincerely,
Frank U. McBoob

 
At 1:36 PM, December 02, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Max..... Your new but it's ok to say NO. Talk to your chief about this and find out what the station policy is. Like the other posts use the I'm drunk line. It awlays works.

 
At 10:47 PM, December 02, 2005, Blogger ewink said...

Pedex? WTF?

Start calling them AutoPeds and maybe that will catch on. Pedex? Sounds like how they ship dead people.

As for being called......

I'm getting curious... What's it like being screwed without lube?

 
At 6:51 PM, December 03, 2005, Blogger John said...

Just make sure you record whatever time you spent chasing that goose on your time sheet.

See also if there is a minimum number of hours the station has to pay you if it calls you out like that. Many have a four hour minimum.

 
At 8:26 AM, December 04, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have never read about such incompetence at any one station. I'm beginning to wonder what market number this is. >150 I would think. You should think about saying "no" once in a while, especially on your day off. Like ewink stated, what is it like without lube?

 
At 6:50 PM, December 04, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Learn about the phrase "four hour callout" If your station allows it and you start filing for it, those overzealous producers sometimes are instructed to cool down on calling you just because the scanner made some noise.

 
At 6:43 AM, December 05, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The best lesson you can learn in your first job is...

LEARN TO SAY NO!!

The first time you say it, it will feel wrong, unnatural, non-team-player-ish. But once you do it, and find out you can get away with it, life will improve just a little bit.

 
At 8:48 AM, December 05, 2005, Blogger Frank McBoob said...

I've been thinking about it... and you have the stupidest producers in the world working at your station...

Between this "pedex" (which is a completely stupid name) and the "oh my God there's no parking left even when there is" story... they should all be dragged out and shot.

They should let you produce Max.

Sincerely,
Frank U. McBoob

 
At 9:59 AM, December 06, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When we get paged at home there is a 3 hour minimum charge for each call-in. That keeps the producers and desk honest. They get in big trouble if they cost the budget too much overtime.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home