Thursday, October 13, 2005

Join the Club!

I'd like to thank all the folks who have commented, including the ones who could get together with my dad to make an "Iron Shoulder Is an Idiot" club. To reiterate and make a few things clear:

I appreciate that I might be able to get a better gig. I know that's possible. But it hasn't happened. I graduated back in the Spring, and if certain toxic recreational substances haven't permanently impaired my math abilities, I've continued to shelve books for five months waiting for something better to come along. It hasn't.

How long should I have waited? Six months? A year?

I'm ready to get started, dammit. At this point it doesn't matter how much I make. I know that makes me sound too eager and naive, but I get the feeling most of the folks telling me to wait for something better are looking at it from the inside, while I've been outside all this time pressing my nose against the window. I just need to get inside. I'll make it work from there. Which is better, the next six months at $13K developing my craft, or the next six months ringing up calendars and self-help books while someone else is learning my craft in my place?

The good news today is that I received an email from someone at the station who is looking for a roommate. It's a girl, too. I've never shared space for any length of time with a girl I wasn't sleeping with, so I'm not quite sure how the privacy issues would work. I suppose I would need to buy a bathrobe.

The bad news is that my boss at work has joined the "Iron Shoulder Is an Idiot" club and is pissed at me for turning in my notice. She told me today that she had planned to recommend me for the management training program. Yes, I could someday manage my very own bookstore. Not that I would give up on television, but why do these things always come up after a big opportunity presents itself to confuse the issue?

2 Comments:

At 8:38 AM, October 14, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi iron, ...I think I might be your first aussie fan so far...I am looking forward to hearing how you deal with the new job, new room mate, and a pissed off dad...oh, and I hope you start adding some pics to your posts.
Good luck,
Nathan.

 
At 7:08 PM, November 09, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does managing a bookstore REALLY count as an big opportunity?

A big opportunity to get hit by an anchor (the boating kind) maybe.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home