Monday, December 19, 2005

Folgers' Crystals

Many have wondered where I've been these last several days. Well, with the holiday season upon us, it seems as though someone is off just about every day. Since most of our news seems to happen during the day, they have been pulling me off nights to cover the daysiders' shifts. But then, since Wendy wants material for her late show also, I end up working well into the nightside as well.

My apologies to my readers. With several twelve hour days (and one sixteen hour day) over the last week, I haven't had much time to blog. However, I did want to log in and relate this one interesting story.

Last Monday one of our photogs, a guy named Al, called in sick. I got a call from the desk asking me to come in and cover for him. I was happy to oblige, but only after I had taken a shower, which my news director seemed to think would take too long. I think I've been accommodating, so I didn't think showering was too much to ask.

Anyway, Sunday night there had been a big (at least for our area) prostitution bust. We're a small town, yet there's still an area where a guy with $40 can pick up a girl on the street and get it on in his car. Apparently the guys would pick up the girls and simply drive around the corner to a street with a bunch of abandoned houses, then circle back around to let the girls out when they were done.

In the first half of their operation, the cops picked up several women who usually worked that stretch of street. Then they secretly replaced them with imitation prostitutes and recorded what happened with hidden cameras. It was like those old instant coffee commercials, but with whores.

None of the news outlets in the market knew about the sweep until the cops announced the results that Monday morning. They had arrested six prostitutes and fifteen Johns. Except that one of the Johns wasn't a John, but an Al. The same Al who called in sick Monday morning after spending most of the night in booking, wishing he hadn't chosen Folgers' Crystals. Our crime reporter didn't even look at the names the cops gave us, and nobody here would have noticed if the newspaper hadn't printed them.

Interestingly enough, nothing has been said. Al was in his own car on his own time and wasn't identified with the station in any way, so the managers are pretty much acting like it's none of their business.

Maybe they're just in the holiday spirit.

9 Comments:

At 9:22 PM, December 19, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I SMELL OVERTIME. Or is that the folgers'. Which is good being it's the holidays and you are probably spending more then usual. That added to to low ammount of pay we photogs. get. You especially. About the John. I like how they are handling it. As in NOT doing a darn thing. It is not a stations business what you do on your off time. Though many of the coorp. owned stations seem to think otherwise now-adays. One small arrest like that isn't firable in my oppinion.

 
At 11:02 AM, December 20, 2005, Blogger Frank McBoob said...

They get mad at you for wanting to take a shower.

Then they don't care if a photographer gets arrested for getting a hooker.

You have one dirty station.

Sincerely,
Frank U. McBoob

 
At 3:56 PM, December 20, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Frank. That place is dirrrty as hell!

 
At 4:18 PM, December 20, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I forget the exact charge but there was a guy arrested at a station in my state for taking pics of minors in the bathroom and in dressing rooms and stuff... The station ran his mug and everything... No other station in the market touched it, Out of courtesy I guess.

He wasn't fired... but quit a couple days later.

 
At 5:19 PM, December 21, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the possible good news in all this - you may be able to move up.

 
At 8:35 PM, December 25, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude...once again...where the hell are you? If you want to be a "real" blogger, you need to post at least every couple of days.

Your fans are getting impatient...MAKE THE TIME!

 
At 8:06 PM, December 30, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No joke. I guess this blog is officially dead.

 
At 11:47 PM, December 30, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ho Ho Ho Merry Christmas

 
At 11:53 PM, December 30, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey I want to here more. I got hired at a station in Palm Springs at about the same time and I like to see how better I got it out here. Im rooting for you man. Head West young man. We photogs get paid better out here. We still get low pay but its better than 13k a year. and you get to take a shower.

The MexiCam

 

Post a Comment

<< Home