Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Meltdown

After months of doing the reporter shuffle, with different reporters getting assigned to the shifts I cover, I finally seem to have settled into a routine with two reporters. Lizzie works with me on weekends, although she isn't happy about it. Sarah, the new girl, works with me Monday through Wednesday at night.

I have worked with Sarah several days over the last two weeks, and some disturbing personality traits and working habits have manifested themselves. I guess the worst problem is that Sarah is slow. It sometimes takes her twice as long as other reporters to write her stories. I'm not sure what the problem is, but she has consistently put me under the gun when editing time has rolled around. It seems like the problem has grown steadily worse over the last two weeks.

She also tends to panic and, for lack of a better word, freak out. For example, one night last week she was trying to get in touch with a school contact for a story about a teenage girl who had been accosted on her way home from school (but got away). We got the story too late to catch anyone at the school itself, so she was trying to track down the principal at home. When she could only get his voice mail, she turned bright red and said, "What am I going to do? WHAT AM I GONNA DO? Why won't this FUCKER answer his PHONE?! This is CRAZY! How am I supposed to get a story like this?!"

"If you can't reach him, you can't reach him," I said. "It's not a big deal."

"Shut up!" she said. "I didn't ask for your opinion."

"Okay," I said. After a prolonged silence she apologized, but still...

And that brings me to tonight.

We got our story early this afternoon, right after the afternoon meeting. It was a rather boring story on a plan to rezone an area to allow a housing subdivision to be built. The county guy was easy to reach, and we knocked out his interview quickly. The landowner took a little more time, but we got our b-roll of the area in question while we were waiting for him to call back. We managed to get out to his house for his interview, and all the elements of the package were in house with three hours to go before the show. Although we were the lead story, we weren't even live.

Yet, somehow, she managed to give me the package to edit almost exactly twenty minutes before the newscast.

I know there are guys out there who do twenty minute edits on a daily basis. I'm still pretty new at this, however, and so far the fastest I've been able to do it is thirty minutes. I told her when she gave me the package that she needed to tell Wendy, the producer, that we would possibly miss our slot, and I wasted no time getting to work.

Unfortunately Sarah didn't tell Wendy that there was a problem. Apparently she went back to her desk and didn't say a word. I became aware of this fact at five minutes before the newscast, when an AP came into my room and asked me for the tape. I told her I was almost done but didn't think I would make it, and to tell Wendy to be ready to float us. I'm glad I wasn't in the control room for Wendy's initial reaction.

Unfortunately I wasn't completely off the hook. Less than a minute after the AP had left, Sarah burst into the room and said, "What's the problem?"

"I don't think I'm gonna make it," I said.

"Why not?" she asked.

"Not enough time," I said. "I'm workin' on it."

"How much more time do you need?"

"A few more minutes," I said. "I'm WORKIN' on it."

Sarah stepped out, but outside the door I could hear that Wendy had turned the corner and was discussing it with Sarah. "He won't tell me how long he needs," I heard Sarah say. A beat later, Wendy burst into the room.

"Are you gonna make it?" she asked.

"I don't think so," I said.

"You don't THINK so, or NO, you WON'T make it?"

"I'm not gonna make it," I said.

"What's the problem?" she asked.

"Can't talk about it now," I said, still trying to edit despite these two idiots distracting me. As I sit here now I'm convinced that I actually would have made it if they had just let me work. Both of them seemed to think that by standing there distracting me, I would somehow change my mind and tell them that everything was just hunky dory and I would be delivering the tape at any minute.

Wendy stood there for a second, then let out this huge sigh and left. Outside the room I could hear her say, "He won't tell me, either."

I finished just after the newscast started, but not before the first block turned into a wreck. I went back and looked at the aircheck tape to see just how bad it was. The anchor actually read the intro to our package, then said, "But, um, we'll have that story in just a minute." Then the wrong video was rolled for the next story, and she became visibly flustered on air. I ran my package to the playback booth in time to be the third story, but the prompter operator somehow got lost, so that the anchor had to read everything off her scripts for almost the rest of the first block.

At the time, however, I was letting out a huge sigh of relief after handing off the tape. When I turned back toward the newsroom, Sarah was standing there waiting for me, with her arms folded across her chest.

"You wanna tell me what happened?" she said.

"I didn't have enough time," I said. "You're gonna have to give me the package earlier."

"You had PLENTY of time," she said, "And now I'm gonna get shit because YOU fucked up."


"I don't think I fucked anything up," I said. "I didn't have enough time--"

"Don't give me that," she said. "Any photog here can edit a package in thirty minutes."

"You gave me the package at twenty minutes 'til."

"No, you got thirty minutes. I know because I looked at the clock when I finished writing."

"And I looked at the clock when you gave me the package. It was twenty minutes 'til," I said.

"What are you trying to do to me?" she asked.

"Huh?"

"I know you could have gotten that in on time."

That just hung there for a minute.

"Are you saying I missed slot on purpose?" I asked.

"The thought has crossed my mind," she said.

At this point I was enraged. I was shaking. I was about to explode into a kaleidoscopic display of obscenities. But I held it together.

"I wouldn't do that," I said.

"Hmmm," she said, sarcastically.

"We should talk about this later," I said.

"Oh, WE WILL," she threatened.

I went back to the edit room, shut the door and just sat there listening to the hum of machinery. I guess you could say I was hiding in there, because I did NOT want to come out and face either Sarah or Wendy. I suddenly realized I still needed to cut a video-only version of the story for the morning show, so I reluctantly put myself back to work.

I did run into Wendy after the show. She didn't say a word.

So now I can't sleep, thinking about what happened and obsessing over the fact that I have to work with Sarah. I don't know if I should launch a preemptive strike and go complain about her first thing tomorrow, or if I should wait to defend myself when the inevitable questions come from the ND. I know I need to get faster at editing, but I can't see how she can say the problem tonight was MY fault when she took three hours to write the story.

I'm really starting to worry about this job. It's been fun and interesting up to now, but the prospect of working directly with this woman three days per week for the foreseeable future does not sound pleasant at all.

23 Comments:

At 10:45 PM, February 21, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go to your ND first thing. He/she knows what the 11 looked like and odds are the Producer told them Why. Waiting for them to come to you just lets everyone else get there version of the story deeply imbeded in the NDs mind.

Also going to them makes them realize that you really cared about what happened.

 
At 11:00 PM, February 21, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

man, this woman screwed you.. and not in a good way.

since you're in "small market USA," do reporters also edit?
if so, tell her to edit a pkg in 20 minutes and see if she makes it.

if not, absolutely get your side to the ND.... especially the part about how you told the reporter to warn the producer it might not make it, and she did nothing.

for the future, document everything... including the time you get each pkg.
it appears that this woman will throw you under the bus any time something goes wrong.

and since she's green with a tendency to "freak out," things will continue to go wrong.

good luck.

 
At 11:03 PM, February 21, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree. That, and I've only been working in for slightly longer than you and I'd still say twenty and change was a pretty quick edit. Don't dispair. Do as they say: get your resume tape together SOON and get out of there. Also, stand up for yourself to the ND about Sarah, but be VERY civil about it. She needs to speed up. She also needs to change the battery in her watch. Hopefully she'll burn out before you do. Good luck!

 
At 11:05 PM, February 21, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd demand a meeting ASAP---you, her and the ND.

and calmly tell the story you just told here..... with particular emphasis on:
a) getting the script late
b) the reporter not warning the producer it might miss slot, as you suggested.
c) the reporter accusing you of intentionally missing slot.

if the ND then supports her, which is entirely possible, you know it's now time to look for another place to work.

PS, if the reporter was so sure YOU f---ed up, she wouldn't be worried about "getting s---."

she's just trying to shift blame; it's the first impulse, unfortunately, for most of America.

don't let her get away with it.

 
At 2:11 AM, February 22, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I disagree. Don't demand a meeting. It will accomplish NOTHING in the long run. So a package missed its slot in a small market TV station due to a dingbat reporter. YAWN! Happens every day. If ND's started firing people for missing slot once in a while, they wouldn't have time to do anything else. Unless you're dragged into the ND's office to explain yourself, my advice (from someone who's been there) would be to simply let it slide.

If this reporter is as dingy as you say she is, she'll show her colors while working with other photogs, too. So don't sweat it too much.

In nearly 11 years working in TV news, I've developed a sort of a litmus test for situations like this. I ask myself "Will anyone remember this incident a year from now? A month from now? Next week? Tomorrow?" Usually the answer to all of those questions is a big fat fucking no, so I just suck it up and move on with my life.

Letting small incidents like this (and this IS a small incident) roll off your back makes it easier to deal with REALLY important stuff when it actually happens.

Keep writing too...this one update per week shit has got to stop! I love this blog!

 
At 2:16 AM, February 22, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and by the way, just to cover your ass, if it's 30 minutes before a newscast and you haven't gotten the script yet, tell Wendy then and there that you're still waiting on the script. Keep her updated as to when you actually do get the script, and if it's 5 minutes before air and you know you've got more than 5 minutes of editing left, sacrifice 10 seconds to jump out of your chair and yell "NOT GONNA MAKE IT!" loud enough so the crosstown stations hear you.

Also, just to confirm that Wendy's an idiot....if the anchor was actually reading the lead-in when Wendy KNEW that the tape wasn't in playback, then that's on Wendy. That part of the meltdown is not your fault, because any producer worth her salt would know how to float a fucking story and communicate it clearly to the anchors and the director.

 
At 8:23 AM, February 22, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Most newsroom computer systems put a time stamp on a script when it is printed out. Never throw that script out if you get it late. It will serve as evidence.

 
At 9:36 AM, February 22, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Max, you're screwed this time buddy. Those two bitchy women are going to team up against you. I've seen it happen before. I've had it happen to me. They'll back each other, and dump everything on you, and management will buy every sweet little lie out of their mouths. Remember that chat you had with your ND after your little spot news incident with Wendy? Get ready for another one, but this time it will be worse.

 
At 9:37 AM, February 22, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree, you much give us a day by day play of what happens. You now have the internet in your room. Keep us up to date.
About the editing problem... I'm not in small market USA and I still have the 20 minute edit with slow reporters. It's good to let them know you gave her 3 hrs. to write. She should give you an hour to edit. As she is writing check back with her every 20 minutes to see if she's done yet. Sometimes I get the reporter to "piece meal me" Once they are done writing a few tracks have them track it then they can go work on the back half of the PKG, and give you the rest later. Then you can work on your own NAT montage beginning and have time to play with it to make it good. They will show up with 20 minutes left and now all you have is the end of the package to lay. It works great.

 
At 10:26 AM, February 22, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Max,
don't worry about it. It happens everyday and we all went thru it with a lame reporter. You will get faster at editing. don't let these two broads get you down and keep your head up. Next time you get a late script have her write down the time on it when she hands it to you. take care and dont sweat it Bro

 
At 12:36 PM, February 22, 2006, Blogger extvtog said...

When i woked in tv news, I had a reporter that would give me her script 20-30 minutes before the show. It would infuriate me. When the ND wanted to know why we could not do live shots onter than the newsroom, I told him it would be impossible if I keep getting my script 20 minutes before hand. Mngmnt saw my frustrations and let me move to a different schedule so I did not have to work with her anymore.

 
At 1:50 PM, February 22, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Max:
as an ex-producer, you need to let the producer know ahead of time that this is happening.
If you aren't cutting tape @ 10:30, i'd go to the producer and advise that she needs to prepare to float.

As far as a reporter having writing a story in 2 hours 30 minutes, well, unless there were some complicated legal issues, there really isn't an excuse. Your reporter is letting the team down by not clueing you in as to what's going on. Granted she's slammed at that late hour, but someone (a producer, an anchor, someone) needs to know that you are sitting idle with 20 min to go prior to showtime.

I can understand the stress that "Sarah" is under. She's probably feeling as though she is the new girl and needs to make good and impress everyone . If she's going to fit in, she's going to need to ask how she can work with you. The key element is TEAM - there's no place on a news team for people who want to throw the blame around. It's too stressful, and life's too short for that *$#& .

Hang in there.

 
At 5:09 PM, February 22, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your dealings with "Wendy" should have already taught you this: Document. Document. Document.

The issue if her believing that you missed slot on purpose is one you should not let go. That's one that gets people sued for libel. No, I'm not kidding. If that happened to me, I'd be on my way to HR, with only a courtesy stop at the ND's office to warn him what was coming.

To accuse somebody of that is not only unprofessional, it's unconscionable.

And, yeah, as mentioned, you have to be the first to speak up or you let the other person define the situation. And tell everyone -- your ND, your chief and the other photographers. If they all know this reporter is a problem, it will be easier for you to stand together when she tries to screw you.

Don't wait until 30 minutes before air to say something to the producer. Try 45 minutes. And when there's that much time to write the piece, you bug the reporter sooner than that.

Oh, and when she does hand you the script 20 minutes to air, you ask her, "What time is it?" That way you both know when this happened. And after that you tell her that you told the producer ten minutes ago that the story was in jeopardy of missing slot.

 
At 5:10 PM, February 22, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

To clarify: The issue of "Sarah" believing that you missed slot on purpose, is what I should have said.

 
At 9:35 PM, February 22, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Split time is the best thing ever when it works. Your a crew or a team you each should get equal time to shoot interview log write and edit. If its 3 hours before deadline she gets 1.5 hours you get 1.5 and all is happy. Of course that never works and any photog or reporter that just read that said B.S. Reporters dont give a shit about when they give it too you its all about when it hit air, and if their pretty fatlazy face is on air or not. Get the tape together and move on to the next market and enjoy the extra 5 mins to cut 2 pkgs!!

 
At 9:41 PM, February 22, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It took her HOW long to write a package?????

Un-freaking-believable. No,Max, the fault isn't yours. Unless she was writing "War and Peace" or needed to get legal questions answered, she should have had the script to you no more than an hour after you got back in the field. That is, if she had the brains to take notes through her interviews or at least to keep her interviews brief and to the point.

You do need to speak with the news director and the chief photographer immediately.

Document the heck out of everything you do. Does your newsroom system include e-mail? Use it frequently for comunication. Not face to face...that becomes "he said, she said." E-mail gets time-stamped.

When you get back in from the field, e-mail the producer of the day to let them know you're back in house and waiting for a script; is there anything you can do for them in the meantime? Volunteer to write stories or cut file video. Let them know what you're doing and that you're still waiting on a script. Keep sending these little missives throughout the shift. It will keep Wendy posted on what's happening and will cover your behind.

It will also serve as a paper trail should you run into serious trouble after a missed slot.

I hope you've already started looking for something else.

 
At 10:20 PM, February 22, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have one at our shop... Crimson knows who I'm talking about... that does that all the time. I just make eye contact with our EP anytime that that happens and save the script for that day. All of our 'togs know she prints script -> tracks (+10 to the script time) -> THEN hands it over... I'm just waiting on my call anyday when I miss slot and her and the producer du jour decide to tag team me.

 
At 9:16 AM, February 23, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The reporter took way too long.

If she's that slow, she should at least help you out before hanging you out to dry 20 minutes before the show goes on the air.

She could have told you what bites to cue up, what pictures to cut, give you a basic layout of what the story is going to look like while she works on her script.

Nevertheless, it shouldn't take her three frickin' hours to write a script.

Max, you should have approached her at the one hour mark, and asked her what the hell is going on.

Sometimes when I'm busy I don't like the editor buzzing around me and asking me "is it done yet?" But I think you have the right to do that if a reporter takes more than 30 minutes to finish a script.

 
At 4:17 PM, February 23, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeez! If you can't edit a PKG in 20 minutes, you don't deserve to be in market 130. j/k She funked you over man. I usually get more time then 20 minutes to edit pkgs, and I have to set up a live truck too. But, in the market I am in, we have reporters who can log and write in 10-15 minutes max. Then again, our morning pkgs are :30-:60. Perhaps you can get her to hot track w/ you when time is short. It makes editing a whole lot faster.

 
At 5:14 PM, February 23, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I were you I would be far more concerned with the way you are being treated than missing a slot (which your ND will know is not your fault). I would speak to the N.D. immediately about the attitude you are receiving from Wendy and especially Sarah. I took some abuse from certain reporters in my old shop ONLY because they were protected by the ND because they were friends. At my new shop a reporter, senior or junior would NEVER speak to me that way. A reporter is not your superior, they are your equal and NEVER let them talk down to you. The precedent you set now will be what you live with for as long as you work at this hell-hole you call a station. If Sarah even gives you a dirty look, ask her (in a professional and diplomatic manner) why she is treating you in a disrespectful manner and if she gives you any lip tell the ND and if he/she doesn’t take care of it, call HR and make a FORMAL complaint.

 
At 5:39 PM, February 23, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude...you have a hell of a lot of people waiting on you to write an update!

 
At 9:00 PM, February 23, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, ease up on the guy. He's got a full-time job...instead of obsessing over his life, do something with your own.

 
At 12:41 PM, February 24, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Max first I love your blog. And don't sweat this. It will pass. I had the same thing happen to me on a major story many years ago. Like has been said before write down everything. Let the producer know one hour before air that you are still waiting for a script. 45 minutes before air start to bug the reporter. 35 minutes before air let the producer know still no script WE HAVE A PROBLEM. Also start banging these chicks. Maybe they won't be so bitchy..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home