Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Lunch

"I can't date you," she said.

We had been getting along pretty well and having a good conversation. We had talked about our college days, our thoughts on the station and our thoughts on the business. We had a fun little sideways jaunt into entertainment, and discovered that we like a lot of the same movies. We also discovered that we have somewhat different tastes in music.


Then she asked whether I left a girlfriend behind when I moved here. That led to a mildly uncomfortable discussion of her boyfriend. Of course I wanted to know, but at the same time I really didn't want to know. I listened anyway.

Lynn and Chris work almost opposite schedules. He has to be at work at 6am. She doesn't leave work until after he's already asleep. The lack of time together has put a strain on their relationship.

"I don't feel like we really know each other any more," she said.

They aren't getting along well right now, but she still loves him.

"At least I still think I do," she said.

She didn't sound convincing to me. The question is, was she really wavering as much as she appeared, or was she putting on the appearance of wavering to keep me interested?

I suddenly realized that this kind of conversation was really too serious for a nice lunch date before work between two people who seemed to have a spark between them. I managed to steer the subject to something a little more fun (station gossip) , but every word seemed a tiny bit heavier with the weight of her situation.

Even so, we were still getting along really well, and by the time we got back into the van to head off to work I was feeling pretty confident.

"I was thinking," I said. "Would you like to go out for a drink after work one night? Just the two of us?"

"Hmmm," she said. And then, nothing.

In broadcasting, dead air always seems longer than it really is. If the tape doesn't roll for five seconds while the anchor stares at the camera, it feels like 35 seconds in the studio. What plays on the television at home as ten seconds of black between the newscast and the commercial that didn't run feels like a minute and a half to the guy punching the buttons in the control room.

The same phenomenon settled on the dead air in our conversation. It was mere seconds, but those seconds carried a lot of weight. The first urge that hits you when you get dead air is to fill it with something.

"I mean, it's okay if you're not interested." I winced at my own overwhelming dorkness and felt a large "L" growing out of my forehead.

"It's not that," she said. "I'd like to. But you know I have a boyfriend."

"He's not invited," I said. I glanced over in time to see the corner of her mouth turn upward slightly. The smirk wanted to come back, but it didn't quite make it.

"I'm sorry," she said. "I can't date you."

"Oh."

"I'm sorry," she said.

"No, it's okay," I said. I didn't really mean it.

"You're mad," she said.

"No, I'm not. Really."

"You sure?"

"Yeah, besides, what does it matter if I'm mad or not? You have to do what you have to do."

I was doing my best to mask my disappointment. We were turning into the station parking lot.

"We can still be friends, right?" she asked.

"Sure," I said. In that moment, "sure" meant "no" and "no" meant "yes." And "yes" would have been more of a plea than an answer.

"So you'll still give me a ride home tonight?" she said. She was trying to smirk again and looking at me sideways over the corner of her glasses. Even after all that, there's still something electric in those steel grey eyes.

"Sure," I said. "I'd be happy to."

8 Comments:

At 12:56 PM, March 01, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bah. Don't write her off yet dude. You're doing fine, just keep giving her rides and being a nice guy. Give her your phone number if you haven't already, tell her it's "just in case you ever need a ride again sometime." Trust me on this.

-NBS

 
At 1:01 PM, March 01, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was her only reason because of the boyfriend?? If that is the case, you are golden because that a-hole will be gone in no time... Don't be too pressing, but don't give up either.

 
At 1:28 PM, March 01, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I disagree. You shouldn't let yourself slip into the "Friend" zone. Back off a little. Don't be a dick and not help her if she needs it, but don't start hanging out with her, either. Don't let her come to rely on you as a chauffeur, or as a "buddy" with whom she can bitch about her boyfriend.

It's pretty clear that she knows you are interested. Now, it's important to let her know that you aren't desperate. Even if you are.

 
At 1:43 PM, March 01, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

absolutely right, the Friend Zone is a killer.
back off for a while.
women can smell the stench of desperation.

trust me, NOT being totally available will make you more intriguing to her.

with their work schedules, the boyfriend won't last.

she'll come around.
but the next move is clearly hers.

get on with your life, hook up with a few other people.
if she happens to hear about it (thru the station grapevine, not directly from you), that won't hurt either.

 
At 5:01 PM, March 01, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Add me to the chorus of people telling you not to get into the friend zone.

If you heed no other advice, heed this:
If she starts bitching to you about her boyfriend, STOP THE CONVERSATION RIGHT THERE. At that moment, you become one of her girlfriends, and unless she's a lesbian, she ain't gonna go down Nookie Road with you anytime soon. Just tell her, politely, that as much as you like her, you aren't the guy to complain to about her boyfriend problems, because you have a conflict of interest.

She'll respect that. And the boyfriend will be gone soon, anyway. So just bide your time.

In the meantime, what the hell's going on with Kat?

 
At 8:20 PM, March 01, 2006, Blogger Invervegas said...

Don't get into the friend zone. Don't become her bitch. Drop her and let her be.
Just remember: We always want what we can't have. At the moment you want her, but can't have her, so you are annoyed. Reverse it. She's obviously let down her inhibitions around you. So get a girlfriend, or a hookup, and make it obvious. Then she's going to want what she can't get. And one day, when the shoe's on the other foot - Bang! Instant love potion.

 
At 7:48 AM, March 02, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, as I chick I say move on! Be her friend and make your move on someone else.

 
At 11:35 AM, March 03, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WTF kind of advice are you people giving this poor kid?

Damn people, ain't nothing wrong with the "friend zone". Friends with benefits, know what I'm sayin'?

Of course, the more I read this, the more I'm convinced that this whole blog is a big joke on us all... No way is this stuff for real, no way. But it's damn entertaining! I love it! More! More!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home